Monday, March 12, 2012

Astronomy: Journey End or The Start of Something New


Image Detail

I got to say that my view on astronomy changes quite a lot during these past few weeks. I have gone from someone who has no clue about almost anything in space, to moderately know enough to actually teach it to someone else. Well, not really teach it, but at least explain the concepts of astronomy. About eight weeks ago, I have no clue what a Hubble Space Telescope and now I just cannot get over it. The various missions it goes on and the important findings that it made are truly amazing. I always thought looking at stars is all an astronomer does and their job is quite easy. Boy was I wrong. It is true they do look at planets and stars, but their job is to also notice the changes in the sky and explain the phenomena behind it. This is very important because it helps us explore and understand more about the universe.

Image Detail
The Pillars of the Eagle Nebula. Photos taken by the Hubble Space Telescope
Another important job for an astronomer is to pass on their knowledge of what they know and discover. This will help others in considering a career in astronomer and most importantly for future generations so that we can better ourselves to explore and learn more from the universe; whether it is looking for other life-forms or a new home. Although there is still a lot of time before the sun explodes and take the Earth with it, but overpopulation will be our destruction if we do not find another planet to colonize. I believe astronomers can help achieve this goal. Although I highly doubt that overpopulation will occur in my lifetime, but it would be a good thing to know that there are places out there to settle and astronomers can help achieve this by studying the planets and stars.
Image Detail
Orion Nebula, courtesy of the Hubble Space Telescope
Astronomy is actually quite interesting, and although I do not know much about it now, but I am eager to know more about it. It helps create a path in my life that I am considering to pursue. The thing is that I also like high energy physics and particle physics too. So I do not really know if I should pursue astronomy or stick with what I am doing. The best thing for me to do now is to do research and see what I like better and from there decide a path for myself.  So whether I choose to be an Astronomer or not, I will continue to set time to explore more about the universe and get myself a telescope, as well as visiting various Astronomy Observatories all around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment